Islamist & Anti-Muslim Extremism
American Woman Charged for Leading All-Female ISIS Battalion
- A recently unsealed 2019 criminal complaint filed against Allison Fluke-Ekren alleges she led an all-female military battalion on behalf of ISIS.
- Fluke-Ekren, who has multiple aliases, traveled to Syria and has been involved with a number of terrorism-related activities on behalf of ISIS from at least 2014, including planning and recruiting operatives for a potential future attack on a college campus inside the U.S.
- Fluke-Ekren was the leader of the Khatiba Nusaybah, a military battalion comprised solely of female ISIS members who were married to male ISIS fighters.
- Fluke-Ekren is charged with providing and conspiring to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization and faces a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.
Alt-Right & Alt-Left Extremism
Neo-Nazis Rally in Florida
- The National Socialist Movement (NSM) held a rally in Orlando, Fla. on January 29 and live-streamed it on the American Nazi Party’s website.
- Rally participants chanted, “The Jew is the devil” and “Jews rape children and drink their blood.”
- NSM plans to hold more events, including a convention of its national chapters and a public protest on April 23 in Washington state.
Portland Antifa Member Gets Slap on Wrist for Assaulting Federal Officer
- Tracy Lynn Molina was federally charged after pleading guilty to assaulting a federal officer in May 2021 at an Antifa protest outside the local Immigration, Customs and Enforcement (ICE) facility.
- Molina has been arrested seven times at violent Antifa protests since George Floyd’s death in 2020.
- Molina was sentenced to “time served” and fined $376.
More News From the Alt-Left
- Newly released documents show then-Mayor Jenny Durkan’s administration drafted legislation to transfer Seattle Police Department’s East Precinct building on Capitol Hill to a Black Lives Matter activist organization as it was being evacuated during violent protests, which would later turn into CHOP/CHAZ.
- Montez Terriel Lee, 26, was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison after he pleaded guilty to setting a deadly fire in a Minneapolis pawnshop, which killed 30-year-old Oscar Lee Stewart, during the 2020 George Floyd riots. His sentence is far less than the punishment outlined in sentencing guidelines.
Hostile Foreign Influence Operations
U.S. Nonprofits Fund Pakistani Extremists
- The Shiite Islamist group Tehreek-e-Jafaria Pakistan (TJP), tied to Hezbollah and the Iranian regime, is raising money for families of fallen Pakistani Shiite “martyrs” using a global network of nonprofits, including American 501(c) nonprofits.
- According to the Center for Strategic and International Studies, TJP has called for the creation of “a popular Islamic army based on compulsory military training…to encourage the spirit of holy war.”
FBI Probes Into Russian Cybersecurity Firm
- The Department of Homeland Security warns of potential cyber-attacks from Russia, as a response to U.S. or NATO actions against a potential Russian invasion of Ukraine.
- The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, a component of DHS, last week issued a memo saying every organization in the U.S. is at risk of cyber threats.
Research and Trends in Extremism
- A memo from the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Intelligence warns of domestic extremists’ aspirations to attack the U.S. power grid, and notes that extremists have developed “credible, specific plans.” Read more
- According to a recent survey from the World Jewish Congress, antisemitic attitudes in Germany have grown exponentially. One in five of all adult Germans espouse antisemitic attitudes. Read more