Six French military officers were wounded on August 9 when a driver seemingly deliberately plowed into them in the Paris suburb of Levallois-Perret.
The officers are members of Opération Sentinelle, whose very job is to protect French citizens from terrorism.
At publication time, French authorities had not said who was behind the attack but given recent experiences in France, Germany and Israel, it seems almost inevitable this was the work of an Islamist terrorist.
Here’s a brief timeline of recent terror attacks in France:
- June 19, 2017 – Car ramming on Champs-Élysées accompanied by planned shooting and bombing
- June 6, 2017 – Self-professed “soldier of the caliphate” attacks police officer with a hammer by Notre Dame
- April 20, 2017 – ISIS claims responsibility for shooting attack on Champs-Élysées
- March 18, 2017 – Police officer shot and injured in Paris suburb Garges-les-Gonesse
- February 3, 2017 – Man shouting “Allahu akbar” wielding machete attempts to enter Louvre
- 2016 – At least 11 terror attacks including:
- July 14, 2016 – 86 people killed and 434 wounded when cargo truck drives through Bastille Day crowds in Nice
- November 13-14, 2015 – 130 dead and 368 wounded in wave of attacks including at the Bataclan concert venue and outside the Stade de France soccer stadium
- January 7-9, 2015 – 17 killed and 22 injured in attacks on Charlie Hebdo offices and Hypercacher market
The location of the Aug. 9 attack in Levallois-Perret.