Brooklyn Man Sentenced to 30 Years for Jihadist Attack
- Dzenan Camovic, 22, was sentenced to 30 years in prison for robbing a New York City Police Department (NYPD) officer’s firearm, stabbing him in the neck, and discharging the firearm at several NYPD officers during the course of the robbery.
- Camovic possessed a significant volume of radical jihadist propaganda at the time of arrest, which occurred in June 2020.
- Camovic is a Bosnian citizen illegally residing in the U.S. He will be deported after completing his sentence. Read More
Muslim Brotherhood Spiritual Leader Dies
- Sheikh Youssef al-Qaradawi, a spiritual guide to the Muslim Brotherhood, died last week.
- Qaradawi championed the 2011 Arab Spring uprisings and his preaching has unsettled rulers in Egypt, as well as in other Arab states. Read Now
Alt-Right & Alt-Left Extremism
Man Kills Teen for Being “Republican Extremist” and is Released on Bail
- Shannon Brandt, 41, used an SUV to kill 18-year-old Cayler Ellington in North Dakota after he was convinced the teenager was affiliated with a “Republican extremist group.” No evidence exists for this claim.
- Brandt was charged with criminal vehicular homicide, as well as leaving the scene of a crash involving a death after the incident.
- Brandt was released from jail on Sept. 20 after posting a $50,000 bond, and wasn’t placed under house arrest or given a curfew. Read More
Right Wing Groups Shut Down Museum Event
- A Memphis museum was forced to cancel what has been described as “a family-friendly drag show and dance party” after around 30 armed protesters showed up outside.
- Members of the Proud Boys reportedly joined other protestors gathered outside the Museum of Science & History (MoSH). Read More
More News From the Alt-Right
- The Goyim Defense League disseminated antisemitic flyers around the University of Michigan campus. Additionally, members threw eggs at a Jewish fraternity at Rutgers University during the Jewish Holiday of Rosh Hashanah. Read More
More News From the Alt-Left
- Justin Christopher Moore, 34, reached a plea agreement over a plot to burn down and destroy the Seattle Police Officers Guild building at an Antifa riot in downtown Seattle in September 2020. Read More
- Devan Nathanial Johnson, 28, and Brandon Wayne Killian, 31, pleaded guilty to committing a hate crime in Shawnee, Okla. Both defendants admitted to assaulting a man in the parking lot of a bar in 2019 because the man was Black. Read More
- Axel C. Cox, 23, has been charged with hate crime and arson violations for burning a cross in his front yard to threaten, interfere with and intimidate a Black family in Gulfport, Miss. Read More
Hostile Foreign Influence Operations
Former Army Reservist Convicted as Chinese Agent
- A federal jury convicted Ji Chaoqun, 31, a Chinese national and former Army reservist living in Chicago, of acting within the U.S. as an illegal agent of the People’s Republic of China without first notifying the Attorney General. Ji faces up to 10 years in prison for this charge and up to five years for conspiracy and false statement offenses. Read More
81 Suspects on Terror Watchlist Found at Border Since Biden Took Office
- Texas Governor Greg Abbott recently tweeted that 81 individuals on the U.S. terrorist watchlist have been stopped at the border since President Joe Biden took office. In previous years, Border Patrol agents had only encountered three terror suspects a year or none at all. Read More
Research & Trends in Extremism
Rise in Incel Calls for Violence
- A new report by the Center for Countering Digital Hate’s (CCDH) new Quant Lab concludes that men who consider themselves involuntarily celibate or “incels” have become significantly more radicalized over the past year.
- More than 1.2 million posts made over an 18-month period on an incel forum were analyzed. Researchers found a 59 percent increase in mentions of mass attacks, widespread approval of sexual violence against women, and nine in 10 posts supportive of pedophilia. Read More
ADL Reports Rise in Florida Hate Groups
- The Anti-Defamation League’s (ADL) “Hate in the Sunshine State” report notes that extremist incidents in Florida involving racial hate and antisemitism rose by 71 percent between 2020 and 2022.
- Hate crimes against Jews accounted for 80 percent of the religiously motivated incidents in 2020, and antisemitic hate crimes have risen 300 percent since 2012. Read More