Islamist & Anti-Muslim Extremism
CAIR Official Blames Zionists for Islamophobia and Police Brutality
- Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) San Francisco executive director, Zahra Billoo, claimed Zionist organizations were behind Islamophobia, police brutality and border control.
- Billoo told a crowd at the American Muslims for Palestine (AMP) conference in Chicago to vigorously oppose “polite Zionists,” including the Anti-Defamation League, Jewish Federations, Hillel and “Zionist synagogues.”
- In the past, Billoo praised the terrorist group Hezbollah, tweeting “AH [All Hail] for Hezbollah having the courage to do what the Arab governments won’t.”
- She questioned whether fallen U.S. soldiers should be honored on Memorial Day and characterized U.S. soldiers as war criminals committing genocide.
Alt-Right & Alt-Left Extremism
Boogaloo Boi Sentenced for Illegally Possessing a Firearm
- Cameron Emerson Casey Rankin, a self-proclaimed member of the Boogaloo Bois and resident of Karnes City, Texas was sentenced to 24 months in prison for illegally possessing a firearm.
- Rankin pled guilty to one count of possession of a firearm by one who has been judicially committed to a mental institution.
- Rankin posted photos to his Facebook account of himself and others carrying firearms at a protest in May 2020, as well as comments about his disdain for police, including, “…hope they burn the precinct down” and “I’m BOOGALOO we hate police.”
Proud Boy Sentenced to 10 Years for Violence Against Protestors
- Texas resident Alan Swinney, 51, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for shooting a man in the eye with a paintball gun, spraying people in the face with bear mace and aiming a loaded handgun at a crowd.
- Swinney is a self-professed member of the Proud Boys, who traveled from Texas to Oregon to confront protesters in 2020.
- A jury found Swinney guilty of 11 criminal charges, including second-degree assault, fourth-degree assault and unlawful use of a weapon with a firearm.
San Diego Brings First Conspiracy Charges Against Antifa
- San Diego prosecutors charged a group of individuals this week with conspiracy to commit the crime of riot.
- At least 11 defendants each face an array of their own separate charges as well as the shared conspiracy charge. Alleged crimes include assault with a deadly weapon other than a firearm, assault likely to produce great bodily injury, animal cruelty, vandalism and the use of tear gas not for self-defense.
- Experts believe the group in San Diego is the first time nationwide that a conspiracy charge has been used specifically to prosecute alleged anti-fascists, or “antifa supporters.”
- The charges stemmed from a Jan. 9 “Patriot March” in Pacific Beach, Calif. Cuney has previous convictions for unlawful gun trafficking and gun possession.
Hostile Foreign Influence Operations
U.S. Places Arms Embargo on Cambodia to Curb Chinese Influence
- The United States has ordered an arms embargo on Cambodia, citing deepening Chinese military influence, corruption and human rights abuses.
- The actions reflect Washington’s effort to counter China’s growing influence in Southeast Asia.
- The impact the ban will have is unclear, seeing as the United States is not a supplier of arms to Cambodia.